Debt of Bones by Terry Goodkind is the prequel to the Sword of Truth series. It was originally a part of a collection of short stories called Legends 2: Short Novels by the Masters of Modern Fantasy, released in November 1999. It was released by itself in December 2001.
Debt of Bones takes places many years before the book Wizard's First Rule.
Abby has come to the Wizard's Keep to appeal to the First Wizard Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander in order to save the lives of her husband and daughter, both of whom have been captured by the D'Haran armies. Bringing her mother's bones, she intends to cash in a "debt of bones", a life debt owed by someone else, in order to make the First Wizard do it.
Here is a list of all the characters who appear in Debt of Bones:
- Abby (First appearance)
- Commander Anargo (First appearance)
- Delora (First appearance)
- Jana (First appearance)
- Mariska (First appearance)
- Philip (First appearance)
- Richard Rahl's mother (First appearance)
- Wizard Thomas (First appearance)
- Unknown Mother Confessor (First appearance)
- Ambassador Wexler (First appearance)
- First Wizard Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander
Wizard's Rule Edit
Debt of Bones is currently the only book in the series that doesn't include a Wizard's Rule.
Chapter guide Edit
Debt of Bones is a short story so it is not broken into chapters.